Alec Baldwin hands over cell phone in ‘Rust’ shooting investigation


A spokesman for the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office confirmed to CNN that the actor provided his phone to law enforcement officials in Suffolk County, New York, who have helped New Mexico authorities obtain the device.

“They will collect information from the phone and give the Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office the evidence collected,” Santa Fe County Sheriff’s spokesman Juan Rios said.

“The Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office does not yet have physical possession of the data to be retrieved from the Baldwin phone,” Rios added, noting that “this is underway.”

Hutchins was killed shot on Oct. 21 during a rehearsal for a scene in a church on Bonanza Creek Ranch. Director Joel Souza was also injured in the shooting.

Late last year, Baldwin told ABC’s George Stephanopoulos that the scene was to show Baldwin straining the gun, and he and Hutchins went over how she would place his hand before the gun went off, then said, “I would never point a gun at anyone and then pull the trigger. “

Aaron Dyer, Baldwin’s civil lawyer, confirmed in a statement to CNN that his client voluntarily handed over his cell phone to authorities Friday morning.

“But this case is not about his phone and there is no answer on his phone. Alec did nothing wrong. It is clear that he was told it was a cold gun and he followed the instructions when this tragic accident occurred, “Dyer said in the statement.

“The real question that needs to be answered is how live rounds came on the set in the first place,” the statement added.

What officials are looking to get

A search warrant was issued for Baldwin’s cell phone last month, according to court documents from Santa Fe County, New Mexico.

Alec Baldwin addresses 'Rust' tragedy in New Year's video

Officials are seeking to get messages, call logs, digital photos and videos, as well as all private messages sent on social media platforms in connection with the production of “Rust,” the ruling said. It also seems to get deleted videos, pictures and messages on the phone that have to do with the movie.

In a video posted to his Instagram account earlier in January, Baldwin said he was cooperating with authorities, saying the process of authorities requesting his phone for the ruling takes time and that they have to to “specify what exactly they want.”

The actor added that any suggestion that he did not comply with the search warrant was a “lie”. In the video, he went on to add that he “works toward, insists on, demands” the truth of what happened.

Dyer said last month that the actor was cooperating with the authorities and that they were confident that the evidence would show that the actor was not responsible for what happened.

Armor sues the film’s supplier of weapons and ammunition

Hannah Gutierrez Reed, the armor man on the set, filled the gun with what she thought were dummy rounds before Baldwin used it on the set, the armor man’s lawyers had said in November.

'Rust' armor man accuses supplier of selling his dummy ammunition mixed with live rounds before lethal shooting on the spot

Jason Bowles, Gutierrez Reed’s lawyer, said at the time that there was a box of dummy rounds marked ‘dummy’ and that the armored man took from that box and loaded the gun “to later find out – and she had no idea – she the rounds inspected that there was a live round. “

“Now, however, we do not know if the live round came from that box. We assume it did,” Bowles said.

Two crew members have told CNN Gutierrez Reed abused weapons on a previous film project.

Gutierrez Reed is now suing the film’s supplier of weapons and ammunition.

In the lawsuit filed this month, Gutierrez Reed accuses PDQ Arm and Prop, LLC and its founder Seth Kenney of violating commercial practices, false and misleading product labels and false and material misrepresentations, after Gutierrez Reed claims Kenney sold her a cache of dummy ammunition with live cartridges mixed in.

The complaint also includes allegations of misconduct by several others involved in the production.

CNN’s Jenn Selva, Chloe Melas and Julia Jones contributed to this report.

.

Follow us on Google News

Disclaimers for Boilingnews.com

All the information on this website – https://Boilingnews.com – is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. Boilingnews.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (Boilingnews.com), is strictly at your own risk. Boilingnews.com will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.