Alec Baldwin hands over cell phone as part of ‘Rust’ shooting investigation


Alec Baldwin handed over his cell phone nearly a month after the New Mexico authorities issued a search warrant for the device as part of an investigation into a fatal shooting on the set of the movie “Rust” in October.

Santa Fe District Attorney’s Office told ABC News Friday, it was in Baldwin’s phone call – a day later Santa Fe County Sheriff’s Office issued a statement said the phone had not yet been turned.

Authorities said they wanted to look at text messages sent from the phone as part of the on-site shooting investigation and also searches photos and videos, emails, Internet browser stories, GPS data and more, according to the ruling.

In an Instagram post last weekendBaldwin claimed that the delay in handing over the phone was because he wanted to ensure that his private communications are protected.

“Any suggestion that I do not comply with requests or orders or search warrants on my phone is bullshit. That’s a lie,” Baldwin said in the nearly five-minute clip.

“It is a process that takes time. They need to specify what they want. They just can not go through your phone and take, you know, your pictures or your love letters to your wife or whatever, ”Baldwin said. “But of course we have to comply with all that 1,000%. We are fine with that.”

Baldwin fired a “prop firearm” on the set of the film, killing film photographer Halyna Hutchins and wounding director Joel Souza.

The actor told ABC News’ George Stephanopoulos last month that he had “no idea” how a live bullet reached the film set.

“I hold the gun where she told me to hold it where it is meant to be aimed just below her armpit,” Baldwin said during the interview. “I take the gun and start tightening the gun, I’m not going to press the trigger. I release the gun’s hammer and the gun goes off.”

Investigators have described “some complacency” in how weapons were handled on the set, but said it was too early to determine whether charges will be filed.