After a long series of going without a host, the Oscars in 2022 will once again have an emcee.
For the first time since 2018, the award ceremony will be led by an as yet unnamed host. The telecast is set to air on March 27 on ABC.
Craig Erwich, president of Hulu Originals and ABC Entertainment, announced the news on Tuesday during the winter TV Critics Association’s virtual press tour.
It comes after years of trying out new formats, including a number of celeb cameos.
For the 2019 show, Kevin Hart was supposed to host, but withdrew within days of being intercepted after controversy arose over his previously homophobic tweets. The show continued without any host and proved to be a surprising success, with a boost in viewership and criticism. It also did not hurt that the show was 30 minutes shorter – a postponement from its usual nearly four-hour-long beat.
In 2020 and 2021, the show stuck to the hostless format, except for a few jabs from Hollywood comedian Ricky Gervais.
This year, Glenn Weiss will direct Oscars and Will Packer produce.
“You heard this first,” Erwich said. “Will really has his pulse on popular culture and entertainment. I know he has a lot to look forward to and we will have more details to share soon. “
Jimmy Kimmel hosted the Oscars in 2017 and 2018. Only about 26.62 million people lined up for the latter broadcast.
The viewing figures for the ceremony in recent years have plunged to new depths. Ratings for the pre-pandemic 2020 show had 23.64 million viewers, and then last year’s show dropped to a sad 10.40 million.
Other hosts who have taken the stage in recent years include Chris Rock in 2016, Neil Patrick Harris in 2015, Ellen DeGeneres in 2014, Seth MacFarlane in 2013, Billy Crystal in 2012 and James Franco alongside Anne Hathaway in 2011.
Hart was on his way to host the 2019 show, but his previously controversial tweets reappeared and he “made the choice to retire from hosting this year’s Oscars.” Hart wrote in a statement on Twitter back then. “This is because I do not want to be a distraction on an evening that should be celebrated by so many amazingly talented artists.”
“Spider-Man: No Way Home” star Tom Holland recently revealed that he was interested in the host concert.
According to the Hollywood Reporter, the Academy reached out to the Netherlands.
“If they ask me for it, I would, and it would be a lot of fun,” he told the Hollywood Reporter. “I really wanted to enjoy it.”
While the “Spider-Man” actor seems to be a fan favorite, others are taking to Twitter to come up with their suggestions.
All the information on this website – https://Boilingnews.com – is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. Boilingnews.com does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (Boilingnews.com), is strictly at your own risk. Boilingnews.com will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.