Baby crushed by family dog ​​after mother ‘took sleeping pills’

A newborn baby was masturbated to death by a dog after his mother fell asleep on the couch and his father went outside for a cigarette.

Reuben McNulty was only 14 days old when his parents’ Staffordshire Bull Terrier bit his head up to 23 times, resulting in his death three weeks later.

Parents Amy Litchfield and Dan McNulty had previously been warned by social workers not to leave Reuben unattended and alone with their two Staffies, It reports the Mirror.

READ MORE: Three common mistakes people make when using a lateral flow test

But while Amy, 31, was sleeping on the sofa next to Reuben, who was also asleep, the baby was rescued by one of the dogs in the family home in Cambridgeshire.

An investigation was told yesterday (Tuesday) that neither Reuben nor the dogs were directly monitored at the time of the attack just before 1 p.m. 02.00 on 18 November 2018.

None of the child’s parents attended the hearing.

The overseer was told that Dan returned to find Reuben and the white dog – named Dottie and at about 6 – covered in blood while Amy was still asleep.

Dan immediately called 999 and told the operator, “I think that f *** dog attacked him. My partner was asleep, I just heard crying.

Baby crushed by family dog ​​after mother ‘took sleeping pills’
Mother Amy was in a deep sleep at the time of the attack

“He’s just bleeding, you know? I was like what the hell?”

When paramedics arrived, Daniel and Amy refused to hold on to Reuben, the investigation was told.

The baby was transported to Addenbrooke’s Hospital in Cambridge, where it turned out he had suffered severe brain, spine and skull injuries.

Reuben died at the same hospital on December 13 – three days after the life support was removed.

Simon Newbury, a veterinary forensic expert, said the dog may have bitten Reuben up to 23 times in the head while shaking him around.

The Social Services had warned that Staffordshire Bull Terriers should not be left alone with the child
The Social Services had warned that Staffordshire Bull Terriers should not be left alone with the child

Sir. Newbury told the investigation at Peterborough Town Hall: “It is possible that Dottie saw Reuben as a small prey or a squeaky toy.

“It is possible that Dottie was stimulated to a predation of crying or a movement [by Reuben].

“There does not appear to have been any supervision of the dogs. Amy was in a deep sleep, Daniel was downstairs and smoking.”

Dan and Amy were both arrested by police on suspicion of neglect after the incident, but prosecutors decided not to charge them in December 2020.

A child protection plan was issued by the social services before Reuben’s birth, who said he should never be left alone with Dottie and the other dog, a nine-year-old Staffy named Fizz.

Amy had owned the dogs since their birth and there were no previous reports of violence or aggression from them.

Both dogs were seized by police and killed after the incident.

Forensic scientist Simon Milburn closed the investigation: “[The child protection plan] gives clear indications and evidence that the parents were aware that Reuben should not be left alone with the dogs at any time, nor when the family ate.

“Neither Reuben nor the dogs were monitored directly during the attack.”

Milburn added: “In the early hours, the explanation was that the mother was sleeping in the living room – she had taken sleeping pills.

“Reuben slept in the same room, and the dogs slept or lay still in their bed in the same room.

Dan said he was going out for a cigarette and Amy remembered it in her [police] interview, which Dan told her, but unfortunately she fell asleep again, and it was when Dan arrived shortly afterwards, he found Reuben seriously injured and one of the dogs, Dottie, covered in Reuben’s blood. “

Milburn described the incident as an “unintentionally short period of inattention, which unfortunately had dire and tragic consequences”.

He noted that the dogs had been separated from Reuben during previous visits by social services and midwives, including on November 12 – six days before the incident.

Following the inquiry on Tuesday, Reuben’s nan Ruth Hinchey spoke about her relief at finding a conclusion on the family’s ordeal.

Ruth, Amy’s mother, said, “We’re just happy it’s done and we can move on.”

Receive newsletters with the latest news, sports and what’s up to date from Liverpool ECHO by signing up here


All the information on this website – – is published in good faith and for general information purpose only. does not make any warranties about the completeness, reliability, and accuracy of this information. Any action you take upon the information you find on this website (, is strictly at your own risk. will not be liable for any losses and/or damages in connection with the use of our website.

Add a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *